5 Hour CRLB Pre-Registration

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

All new residential registrations and those registrations that have been expired more than six months issued, by Contractors' Registration and Licensing Board, will require five (5) hours of education from a board approved provider. These courses must be taken in person


Required Topics: 

(1) One (1) credit hour of Board-approved education covering Construction Codes and Standards;

(2) One (1) credit hour of Board-approved education covering Contracts;

(3) One (1) credit hour of Board-approved education covering Workplace Safety;

(4) One (1) credit hour of Board-approved education covering Business Principles and Practices; and 

***(5) One (1) credit hour of Board-approved education related to the practice of construction or other topics related to the applicant’s business, including but not limited to: land use, development, planning and zoning, resource conservation or estimating


 Becoming a new contractor in Rhode Island  
Rhode Island law requires all contractors, commercial and residential, to obtain a Contractors Registration from the State of Rhode Island Contractors’ Registration and Licensing Board. Prior to obtaining their registration, contractors performing residential home construction, remodeling or modifications must take a 5 hour pre-registration course. Commercial contractors are exempt from the education requirement.

NEW Contractor Registration Applicants    
1. Residential Pre-Education Courses (5 hours) are required for applicants performing work on any Residential Structures. 

2. Completed Application: http://www.crb.ri.gov/documents/forms/Contractor%20Registration%20New%20Application%20v2.pdf 

3.  Certificate of Liability Insurance indicating R.I.C.R.L.B. as the certificate holder
Ask your agent to add the following in the certificate holder box:
R.I C.R.L.B. 560 Jefferson Blvd. Warwick, RI 02886

4. $200 Registration Filing Fee, 2 years

5. Payments made by check or money order; payable to R.I.C.R.L.B. Payments by credit or debit card must be made at the R.I.C.R.L.B. office. NO CASH.

6. If your company is a corporation or LLC, then you must be valid with R.I. Secretary of State.
(If your company was recently formed, less than 6 months ago, you do not need a certificate of good standing.)
Here is the link to the forms section from the R.I. Sec. of State

 Out-of-State Resident Applicants
You will need a Registered Agent to act on your behalf. The agent will be responsible for forwarding served documents received from the R.I. CRLB and quarterly statements or other correspondence from the  R.I. Sec. of State office regarding your company. 

In addition to the above, you will need to fill out Section 3 of the Contractors’ Registration Application or     the Agent of Service Form. http://www.crb.ri.gov/documents/agent-of-service.pdf 

Out of State residents wishing to register as a Foreign LLC  or Foreign Corporation will need to fill out the R.I. Sec. of State application http://sos.ri.gov/divisions/Business-Portal/Forms 

About ETI

ETI was founded in 2009 to help promote quality in environmental training and to provide an ongoing partnership by supplying continuing support to our customers after the training has been taken. Reach us at: 

Rhode Island        401-626-8226

Massachusetts      781-569-6050

©2020 Environmental Training Institute. All Rights Reserved.